**PLEASE NOTE : Once a package has been shipped, ownership rights transfer from Koto Tea to the purchaser. It is the purchaser’s responsibility to track their packages and take delivery. We supply a tracking number and link to tracking page in a confirmation email when an order is shipped.
Products shipped from Japan to certain countries and jurisdictions might be subject to local customs duties or consumption tax in the country of delivery. Such duties and taxes are purchaser’s (or receiver’s) responsibility. This applies in particular to European countries (especially European Union) which apply VAT (or similar) and approximately 6% duty.
What is payable (if anything) is unique to each jurisdiction, and depends on where the goods are sent from, the type of goods, their transactional value and the weight of the package
None of these charges are paid to us the seller (Koto Tea), but to the local authorities.
**IMPORTANT : If duties and taxes apply to a customer’s package, they will need to be collected by DHL Express couriers before delivery. As a service to speed up express delivery, DHL pays the customers duties and taxes in advance to bypass the usual delays in customs processing. To enable this DHL also charges a handling fee (Approx. €8-15 ). Please be aware this is a condition of shipping and unfortunately can’t be avoided. (This only applies IF duties and taxes are payable)
The following are guidelines for particular regions. Please note this information is offered as a guide and is subject to change. Please contact your local authorities for the latest and most accurate information:
- Generally the U.S.A. does NOT charge customs fees or duties. Officially, packages with a declared value under $2000 USD will be cleared without any fee. We’ve shipped hundreds of packages to the U.S.A. and have never encountered any issues with customs.
- Most packages usually clear customs without issue, but orders above $20 MIGHT require that you pay the applicable duties and the GST, . For more information please visit the Canadian customs website.
- Orders below $1000 AUD are regarded as ‘low value imports’ by Australian customs. Generally orders are delivered smoothly and without customs fees applied. However according to the Australian customs website: as of 01 July 2018, customs duties MIGHT apply to any goods imported from overseas by consumers in Australia. For more information please visit the Australian customs website.
EUROPE (EU) :
- If payable, duties and fees are applied according to a “Total Value” which is a combination of product price(s) and shipping fees.
- Orders with a Total Value of 22 Euros and below are are not charged tax and import duty.
- For orders with a Total Value between 22 to 150 Euros – The buyer is responsible for paying the consumption tax of the total value.
- For orders with a Total Value over 150 Euros, The buyer is responsible for paying both consumption tax and import duty of the total value.
**REMOTE AREAS :
- DHL Express charges an extra surcharge to deliver to addresses that are deemed to be in a “remote area”. On the rare occasion where a purchaser’s (or receiver’s) shipping address is in a remote location, we will contact the customer to arrange for payment of the remote area surcharge, or attempt to arrange delivery by another method.
**PLEASE NOTE : We will not falsify information on customs papers, especially price.
- Falsifying shipping papers and invoices by lowering prices and totals is illegal. It puts both our business, and you the customer at risk.
- Additionally, it can lead to the voiding of insurance claims and refunds in the case of damaged or missing packages. Therefore it is in the customer’s interest and protection.
- We empathise with customers who live in countries that impose high import taxes and duties, but we strictly refuse to falsify prices on shipping documents for the above reasons. We thank you for your understanding.